Montserrat Afternoon Tour from Barcelona
with Cog – Wheel Train
Enjoy a day trip to the holy mountain of Montserrat aboard a cog-wheel train. Visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat and see the famous statue of the Black Madonna. Don't forget to taste typical liquors of Montserrat!
About this experience
Includes Montserrat Rack Railway (Cog-Wheel Train)
Start your half-day trip from Barcelona in a comfortable Bus to the mountain of Montserrat which rises majestically to 4,051 feet (1,236 meters).
The rocks of Montserrat were formed by natural cement of sand during the centuries. The wind and rain shaped the mountain with strange and varied forms. The popular imagination has seen human or animal shape in some of these peaks, giving those names and inventing legends to explain their fantastic origins. This trip to Montserrat will give you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful and breathtaking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s special creations.
You will go up to Montserrat with the Cog – Wheel Train, which leaves you in the middle of the Monastery. It is a 15-minute trip with a privileged and spectacular view of the mountain. The train has panoramic windows which make the actual journey an interesting attraction. The train is air-conditioned and they are completely wheelchair-friendly.
You will visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the famous 12th-century Romanesque carving of Verge Moreneta (the Black Madonna). You will be able to see this famous statue of the Black Madonna from a distance. The Benedict sanctuary of Montserrat has been founded in 1025 and provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery's Royal Basilica. The little monastery soon began to receive pilgrims and visitors who contributed to the spread of stories of miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Today, Montserrat has been modernized to continue attending to the needs to pilgrims, one thousand years after it was originally founded.
You will be given some free time to visit the audiovisual exhibition about the history and creation of Montserrat. And taste typical liquors of Montserrat.
How to use the voucher
Exchange your printed voucher at the meeting point
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
• Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
• Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
• At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
• Air conditioned motor coach.
• Bilingual guide.
• Taste of 4 typical liquors, handmade by the monks of the monastery.
• Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”. The exhibition is based on three fundamental pillars: mountain, monastery and sanctuary. It explains to its visitors the history, natural creation and significance of this pilgrimage site.
• Cog – Wheel Train.
What's not included
• Food and drinks, unless specified
• Hotel pickup and drop-off
Estació del Nord: ground floor, platform 19 - Carrer d’Alí Bei 80