Skip the queue (and the stress) and enter the Vatican City State (the smallest state in the world) with this exclusive tour.
The Vatican Necropolis is located 10 metres below St. Peter’s Basilica, underneath the Vatican grottoes, in correspondence with the central nave of the Basilica. It is a Roman cemetery, positioned next to the Circus of Nero, where both pagan and Christian tombs from the period between the 1st and the 4th century coexist. You’ll be able to wander the streets and see the places revered by the earliest Christian civilisation, and make the “pilgrimage of pilgrimages”: it is here in fact that the remains of St. Peter, Christianity’s first “pope”, are buried.
After visiting the Necropolis, the tour continues in St. Peter’s Basilica, Christianity’s most important temple. It is an Italian renaissance church with a central Cupola that dominates Rome’s city skyline. As you cross its threshold, you’ll quickly see that its interior is much bigger than that of any other Cathedral.
The tour will start with one of the greatest masterpieces of all time: Michelangelo’s “Pietà”, following which you will have the opportunity to pay homage to the tomb of St. John Paul II.
In the heart of the Basilica, beneath the high altar and Bernini’s famous “Baldacchino”, you’ll find the “Confessio” or “Chapel of the Confession”. It gets its name from the confession of faith of St. Peter which led to his martyrdom and is located immediately above the purported place of his burial.
You’ll see that the entirety of the interior of St. Peter’s is lavishly decorated with marble, bas-reliefs, sculptures, mosaics and gilded stucco: nothing else comes close to its elegance and magnificence.
So, come and enjoy the most exclusive tour of the Vatican!
• Clothing MUST be suitable for the HOLY place: PLEASE BE AWARE you NEED long trousers for men and skirts under your knees or trousers for women. Shoulders ALWAYS covered for everyone. GUESTS THAT DO NOT RESPECT THE DRESS CODE WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO ENTER THE NECROPOLIS.
• While visiting the necropolis, visitors might notice the altered environmental conditions of temperature and humidity. Those who suffer from certain pre-existing conditions (including claustrophobia) that could worsen under these conditions, should not visit.
• Only visitors 15 years or older will be admitted
• Bulky objects (suitcases, large bags, backpacks of any kind, etc.), or photographic equipment are not allowed.
• Visitors must arrive at the designated meeting point 30 minutes prior to the scheduled tour time and present their ticket/voucher to the tour coordinator/guide. It is the individual responsibility of each visitor to arrive at the meeting point on time.
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
• Entrance ticket to the Necropolis
• Reserved entry
• Official Vatican guides for both the Necropolis (excavations) and St Peter’s Basilica.
• Guided or Audio guided tour of the Cupola
• Shuttle service to and from the Hotel
• Any additional services not previously listed
The meeting point is located – as you face the Basilica – on the right-hand side of the square, OUTSIDE the colonnade, in front of the Vatican Post Office (see map). Our staff (wearing blue vests with the Vox Mundi logo printed on them) will be waiting for you 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of the tour to lead you inside the Basilica, through a reserved entrance.
Il saltafila è sicuramente un vantaggio in giornate calde come quella di ieri. Nella necropoli, oltre ad un'atmosfera di grande spiritualità ho trovato il sollievo di un luogo fresco. Consigliato a tutti!
GREAT experience. You go back to 2K years ago! Great!
We are germans but we did this tour in english. They do not do it in german but the guide was easy to understand . Very interesting and it is the most incredible and perfect excursion we ever did in Italy. Precise, on time and all was worth while. vielen dank vox mundi
Spent long time before finding this service. I tried to call the SCAVI but the appointment was given to me in 4 months. I was able to find this service on line and I received a fantastic tour. We had the same guide for the necropolis and the Basilica of St. Peter. She was great. The tour it self was very well organized and I loved it. Unfortunately they do it only 2 days a week. Thanks